To recognize the remarkable contributions of individuals to improved political commitment, policies, and programs that expand access to interventions and accelerate progress toward hepatitis elimination particularly in areas with limited resources.
Nominations for 2020 Elimination Champions opened May 1st and closed on June 5th. Finalists were announced the day before World Hepatitis Day, July 28, 2020. The 2021 nomination process will begin in May 2021.
Criteria for nomination:
- Nominees direct actions have resulted in substantive and demonstrable improvements in hepatitis prevention, testing, care and treatment.
- Areas of work are wide-ranging and include public awareness, political mobilization, planning and policy development, financing, service delivery. And technical innovations;
- As the ultimate goal of disease elimination is health equity, particular emphasis will be given to nominees that expand access to interventions and accelerating progress towards elimination for marginalized populations and those working in low/middle income countries .
- Nominee’s may self-nominate
- Nominee may be from any sector but must have at least 3 years of work related to hepatitis
- Applications missing required information will not be considered.
Who is not Eligible:
- Current staff, consultants, or interns at CGHE
- Current staff at the Task Force for Global Health
- Any previous champion
A panel of judges from the hepatitis community will score the nominations. The 2020 judges included:
- Lesley Miller, 2019 Elimination Champion
- Heidi Hildreth, Iceland National Hepatitis Program
- Lily Lou, CGHE John C. Martin Foundation/CGHE Executive Board
- Yoanna Nedelcheva, EASL/CGHE Executive Board
- Chris Wingrove, World Hepatitis Alliance/CGHE Executive Board
This award is honorary and recipients will be presented with a plaque recognizing their efforts and highlighted on CGHE’s website. The Coalition will work to bring international, national and local attention to their work and organization. The Coalition will prepare media releases regarding the awardee’s and their organization and work with awardee to send to media outlets in their communities/countries.